Saturday, October 18, 2008

Saturday Morning Musings

How is Barack Obama's Get Out the Vote (GOTV) Campaign going to work?

"I need you to go out and talk to your friends and talk to your neighbors. I want you to talk to them whether they are independent or whether they are Republican. I want you to argue with them and get in their face." - Barack Obama, September 2008.

Ahh...there's nothing like the old "Get In Your Face" politics. I guess this is the "Hope" and "New Kind of Politics" that Senator Obama has been talking about since he started running for President 5 years ago. Two things.

1. I've only had a few Obama supporters get in my face, thusfar this election. Fortunately, their talking points are repetitious and overused, and thus, easy to debunk. So, it's actually been all right. It's a nice self-esteem booster for me.

2. Frankly, John McCain's message of government getting out of your face has been one that I've admired. It's very Reaganesque, i.e. government is not the solution to our problems, government IS the problem. However, I think that Senator Obama is going to run the government like he runs his campaign. Get in your face government!

What would this look like?

1. The 2nd Amendment

In his speech that day, Senator Obama goes onto say that the 2nd amendment will be protected under his administration. I just don't believe him though. As previously discussed in earlier entries, the justices that he would appoint would be very hostile to the 2nd amendment.

2. Federally funded abortions.

Unfortunately, Planned Parenthood is receiving millions of dollars from you, I, and the American people every year. Plan on the government to "Get in your face!" and take even more.

3. Finally, get in your face government overall.

The size, scope, and budget of the federal government will no doubt increase under an Obama administration. Period. Between 2009 and 2013, I guarantee you that the government, with Obama as the chief executive will be "in your face."

I can't wait!

No comments: